Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October Songaday: Day 2 (Darksiders II - The Corruption)

DAY TWO: DARKSIDERS II (JESPER KYD) - THE CORRUPTION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMkd8s0iKRY
I haven't played Darksiders II. Nope, I haven't. Not Darksiders I either. I don't know much about them other than that they're apparently pretty good. But the music on the second one? Well, I caught wind a while back that Jesper Kyd was doing it. And you know what? That's enough for me. Downloaded myself the soundtrack on release date, have yet to regret it even a little bit.
Seriously. I'd almost be willing to say that, in a lot of ways, the Darksiders II soundtrack is the culmination of Kyd's work. In the songs, ESPECIALLY this one, you can hear the bits and pieces he's built up and learned over the course of time. I hear the gorgeous bits of the Assassin's Creed games, the faint power of Borderlands, and of course his iconic drums I've known ever since the Hitman soundtracks. Kyd is among my favorite video game composers of all time, and while I think I personally still enjoy the Assassin's Creed 2 soundtrack even more, the Darksiders II soundtrack is a flawless piece of art. And it isn't just The Corruption. The Maker's Theme, Story of the Makers, The Makers Overworld (Borderlands is especially strong here), Crystal Spire... Golden.
There's also a lot of Shadow of the Colossus vibe to the soundtrack, if you like that. The peaceful string parts of SotC, that is.

Links:
Darksiders II (Home Website)
The Makers Theme
Story of the Makers
The Makers Overworld
Crystal Spire

Just wanted to take a few minutes and hype some stuff to you guys.
1) tremulus.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1227949612/tremulus-a-storytelling-game-of-lovecraftian-horro
I backed tremulus there on Kickstarter several days ago, and I'm glad I did. It's looking like it's going to be a great Lovecraftian horror take on the Apocalypse World system. I actually know like 0 Lovecraft, so this'll be really cool I think. It's also gonna release the pdf and core 11 playbooks like tomorrow or as long as it takes for the funding to go through, so that'll be sweet as hell.
Congrats to the tremulus team on reaching $60,000 funded and breaking the final stretch goal! I can't wait to see Innsmouth.

2) The Quiet Year
http://www.indiegogo.com/thequietyear
And as that crowdfunding project ends, so a new one begins. This is by Joe Mcdaldno, author of Monsterhearts and Perfect: Unrevised and general awesome dude. I've seen The Quiet Year several times on his site as being open if you want to giive a hand at playtesting, and I kept meaning to because it looks beautiful, but alas, I seem to be too late. Now the best I can do is buy a copy and support a great writer/designer! I especially want it to reach 8k, Tony Dowler's maps are gorgeous.
It's just $5 to get a little post-apocalyptic game that's run with a deck of cards. Help out!

3) Downfall
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/authordrake/downfall-the-graphic-novel
Downfall is a collaboration between a writer I don't know and Jason Engle, an illustrator I do know, who are gonna make a graphic novel together. This looks really nice, and I'd love for it to succeed. Come on, just $12 to get a year's worth of comics! You know that's great!

4) Indie Game The Movie
Wait, didn't this beat its Kickstarter ages ago? Yup. Just wanted to shout out about how it's totally on Netflix, so everyone should see it. I'll be watching it as soon as I have a free hour and a half, I'm really excited about that.

End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment