Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October Songaday: Day 3 (Rochard - Grinder's Blues)

I love you all. Until 3 days ago, I'd never broken 100 views in one day. Now it's happened 3 days in a row, and it's all thanks to you. So thank you readers, you've helped brighten what is turning up a really dismal week. I hope you keep enjoying Songaday!

DAY THREE: ROCHARD/POETS OF THE FALL - GRINDER'S BLUES
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66cos8RTooA&feature=player_embedded
I found this song literally yesterday. I bought Humble Indie Bundle 6 two days ago and yesterday started listening through all the soundtracks we get with the games, and I'm letting them play through when this gem comes up and I lift my head: "I know that voice!" Lo and behold, it is indeed Poets of the Fall, and I immediately knew I wanted to use this song.
It's great to hear that PotF are doing more game music, their style is malleable enough to fit accurately into most roles needed. Country rock here, harder rock as the Old Gods of Asgard, and a more lyrical calmness in The Poet & The Muse that suited Alan Wake perfectly. In addition, the Poets have consistently blown me off my feet with their albums - I like Twilight Theater the most, but am a big fan of all of them, though I'm not as into Temple of Thought. Give it time though.
That all said, I've yet to play Rochard. I honestly bought this Humble Bundle for the soundtracks, most of the games either don't interest me or I already have them from prior bundles. Still, it's crazy good.

If you look up at the top of the blog, right under the header, you can probably see that new page I added titled "Music"! This page is essentially a place that I'm going to place every song I've posted, for easy searching. You can also finally see everything that made up September Songaday, which is still only available to members of Kakariko Graveyard. If you look, there's a PotF song under September Songaday, and another down under the Blog Post songs, which you can find at the bottom. If you look at that one (I think it was Revolution Roulette I posted) there's a wealth of PotF info, should you care.

My favorite note about them: They're Finnish. They sing entirely in English - there aren't any Finnish versions of their songs or anything. I heard a live recording of them, and they sang their songs in English immediately before talking to the crowd in Finnish. Does their audience just generally not care what the words mean? Oh well. They totally need some more popularity here in the States, they're freakin' awesome.

You really can't go wrong with anything by them, but here's a couple of my favorites.
Links:
Rochard
Poets of the Fall
Lift (Dramadance Mix) (I love the original Lift, but this one is even better)
Carnival of Rust
Locking Up The Sun (interesting trivia: in Finland, this was the theme song for the television show Heroes)
Delicious
Dreaming Wide Awake
War
Poet & The Muse
15 Minute Flame
Rewind
Fire
The Ultimate Fling
Overboard
Don't Mess With Me

Seriously, they're just fucking great. Probably the only band out there that I consistently like nearly every song on every album. The The's Naked Self still reigns supreme as my favorite album by a mile, but these guys are probably my favorite band overall, now that I think about it.

Sorry about the DW and 13th Age posts - they're coming, but this is a really intense schoolwork week for me. That said, I locked in my Apocalypse World game for Friday, so I'm really motivated to get to the end of the week!
End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment