Monday, October 8, 2012

October Songaday: Day 8 (Alesso - Years)

DAY EIGHT: ALESSO FT. MATTHEW KOMA - YEARS (VOCAL EXTENDED MIX)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ycuRn8fwF4&feature=player_embedded
So, I actually knew about midway through last month that I felt prepared enough to do my Songaday this month rather than December, as was the original plan (which would have kept with my "every 5 months" schedule I retroactively noticed). When "Trance Is Life" podcast posted their latest episode, episode 38, I was listening through and as soon as I got to this song I KNEW it was going to be a part of my Songaday. Seeing as it's only the second song in that incredible mix, there's a lot to love.

I think I talked up Trance is Life back in February with My Enemy (Rank One Remix) by Super8 & Tab, but they're really worth talking up more. I've tried out a bunch of music podcasts. Ones with a DJ, ones without, ones with a ton of themed music, ones with just whatever, and I gotta say, I don't think anything really compares to the work that AlborZ and Dan Young put into Trance Is Life. I've yet to hear something bad from them. Even then, Episode 38 is above and beyond the usual, in my opinion. I'm linking to them below - check 'em out if you're even remotely interested in Trance, EDM, or electronica in general. Leave 'em a nice comment, they deserve it.

So, who is Alesso? Alesso showed up on the EDM scene in 2010, and I spent last night downloading everything he's done. He's done some stuff on his own, but not a ton, and hasn't released any real compiled albums other than his introductory Alesso EP. Throuh 2011, he worked with such names as David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia (check out Greyhound by them on the music page up top, it's awesome!), and Sebastian Ingrosso on his own. Of course, I really am a much bigger fan of Vocal Trance than I am of EDM (which often feels repetitive to me), so a lot of his collaborative work is better to me.

Honestly, I know pretty much nothing about Matthew Koma. I know he's the vocals, and I'm linking a freaking awesome acoustic version of this song by him. It's really great, even without Alesso's spot-on beats. My Google-search also seems to have found that he's dating Carly Rae Jepson - feh, musicians. The way they only date internally is nearly as bad as actors. No, I'm not sure why I find this relevant.

I won't be linking to my favorite pieces of the Trance Is Life podcast though - I'm pretty sure I'm still going to use a couple later this month.  Check it out anyway.

Links:
Trance is Life
Trance is Life Episode 38
Alesso (it's his Facebook - he doesn't have a website!)
Matthew Koma
Alesso - Clash
Jasper Forks - River Flows In You (Alesso Remix)
Alesso & Dirty South - City of Dreams
Matthew Koma - Years (Acoustic)
Alesso @ Tomorrowland (28 min long setlist!)

Now, in other news, I had a very busy week last week (and my essay is still up for you to check it out if you want to see the fruits of my labors!), but this week is not looking all that bad at all! Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 released yesterday, though the close release to my birthday means I can't get them yet. Yeah, birthday! That's Friday! I'm excited.
So, here's what I'm thinking about for stuff to post up within the next little bit.
- Dungeon World (Gamerati) AP.
- 13th Age (Gamerati) AP. While I planned to do this after DW, I think I'll do it before because they're still in playtest technically and I really want to talk about how this works.
- Apocalypse World (Session 2) AP. Played Friday, had a blast, hope to post and then play again this Friday. Birthday RPG'ing is the best.
- Borderlands 2 Review. I beat 1st playthrough Saturday, and am going to do a little bit of 2nd Playthrough, then review it. Lightning Review: It's good, gameplay & graphics & sound are superior to the first, but I'm not as fond of the direction they went with some of the style choices or the humor. Still 8.5/10, if not more.
- Discussion of the Ace Attorney series and/or The World Ends With You. Basically I want to gush about my favorite DS games.
- I want to photograph my Warhammer 40,000 army! I haven't done anything with them here on tLBP before, but keep meaning to. I've finally finished painting everything I have, so I want to show 'em off before I maybe get more for my birthday. I play Tyranids, for the record.

Uhh, that's all I can think of right now. I'll try to have something to show for this within a couple days at the most. Until then, I'll see you tomorrow with another Songaday!

End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment