Saturday, September 14, 2013

Avatar World Art: The Warrior


I really love the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack. I only started paying attention to the game originally when Chip Cheezum did a video of the demo, and I was captured by Blade Wolf's song. When it came out, I was wowed by Rules of Nature and I realized just how crazy cool the game is. And now through Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus' Let's Play of the game, with each boss fight I've realized just how focused and awesome the songs are in context. Red Sun, Collective Consciousness, The Only Thing I Know For Real, A Stranger I Remain...this is a badass soundtrack. It, along with FFXIII-2, is setting a new bar for me with regard to vocals in video game soundtracks. Just...damn.

So I've been doing a lot of Avatar World work, but most of it isn't the sort of thing to show off right now. Come back Friday evening, because I've been doing layout (and some initial mechanical repair, but mostly layout), and I'll be releasing the complete downloadable PDF for Avatar World! You'll have a totally usable document that will allow you to play the game at your own table!
That excites me.

It won't, however, be entirely complete aesthetically - I'm not gonna be able to have all the playbook art in a state that I want. Some of it! But not all of it. I'll be adding it into the file in the following couple weeks.

For today, I did the art for The Warrior and I'm feelin' pretty good about it!
If you click it gets even bigger!

EDIT: A bit of detail about the image: It's obviously inspired by traditional imagery from samurai and such, like the top knot and two crossed swords, but it's not meant to BE a samurai, just to remind you of one. He is unarmored mostly here. I like the look of the shading I got, it reminds me of Avatar actually, and the edging design reminds me of the Earth Kingdom. It may be a bit unconventional to have the playbook image be not facing you, but I like it.

Here's what it looks like on a playbook (plus what the front of the playbook will look like, though this was tested on the template)
It looks nice. They are noticeably inspired by Monsterhearts' layout, which is convenient both in that I really like it in MH and that they are very easy to fold, compared the ApW trifolds, while taking up less space than DW sheets. I designed it for my desired intro sequence: fill out the character details on the front, mechanical details (stats, moves) in the middle, and the oaths you start with on the back. I think it's nice and simple.

End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment