Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sunday Songs B: Kill the Noise - Saturn (A Shot of EDM)


For the second one today, well, nothing sprung to mind so I just grabbed something new-ish to my collection, though the song itself is over a year old.
Where did I find it? Well, Monstercat very recently added a new artist to their growing repertoire of small-scale EDM producers. When I say small-scale, it has nothing to do with quality, it's just that most of them don't have much name for themselves other than the Monstercat label. I don't listen to Monstercat stuff personally (I'm more of an Armada Music guy), but I can honestly respect that commitment to seeking out new and interesting artists in a highly-saturated field and giving them an audience.
Wait. I don't listen to Monstercat. Where the hell did I find this? Well I might not listen to them, but my BROTHER does, and I was chilling in his room and I heard this song used in one of Case & Point (the new artist)'s mixes and asked him to send me the link because the etherealness, the female vocalist, and the overall feel reminded me a lot of the trance stuff I DO listen to. Unfortunately, Trance Is Life podcast hasn't updated in almost half a year, so I don't have a great feed on new stuff other than the radio, so I've been hearing more and more of my bro's stuff.

Well, I don't know much of anything about Kill the Noise. Their EP that this was on, Black Magic, is basically completely different. Oh, and I know literally nothing about Brillz and Minxx, the collaborators on this track that our gracious uploader decided to omit.
Instead, I figured I'd share some EDM (of various kinds) that I've picked up in the last little while. I feel like making some links. You might have heard a few on the radio, but my main station is c89.5, a Seattle-based dance music station, so you won't hear a lot of this on your average radio station.

Links:
Afrojack & Shermanology - Can't Stop Me
Alesso & Calvin Harris - Under Control
Cash Cash - Take Me Home (I've been listening to this one a lot lately!)
Ellie Goulding - Burn (Maths Time Joy Remix) (yeah, it's questionable to include her on a list full of EDM, but I'm not being scientific with the genres here, just enjoy the song)
Ellie Goulding - Burn (Tiesto Remix)
Manufactured Superstars - Like Satellites
Tritonal ft. Phoebe Ryan - Now or Never
Avicii - Wake Me Up (this song is the veritable king of the radio, or at least was for a while. This is the most universally overwhelmingly popular I've ever heard a radio song, and for good reason - I've heard it over a hundred times probably, and I still like it!)
Avicii - Hey Brother
Avicii - Addicted to You
Kaskade & Project 46 - Last Chance
Martin Garrix - Animals
Tiesto - Red Lights
Daft Punk - Get Lucky (congrats DP on your twin Best Album and Best Song awards, they're well-deserved for what must be the catchiest song of the year. To be completely frank I think The Heist is a better album than Random Access Memories, but hey, huge props to the kings of the funk / house scene)
Glowbug - Like a Knife Along the Coast (gotta include some lesser-knowns here!)
Knife Party - LRAD
Kyau & Albert - Made of Sun
Swedish House Mafia - Here We Go
Swedish House Mafia - Antidote
Swedish House Mafia - Don't You Worry Child (Farewell, SHM. We'll miss you. You might be tired of superfame, but you've become the very personification of the ascension of Scandinavian EDM. I don't think you will ever be forgotten. - A belated send-off for entry number 1 on my Blog Songs list)
Vicetone / Barack Obama - Hope
Vicetone / Matthew Koma - One Night (How can I NOT include more Koma songs?)
Vicetone / Fedde Le Grand / Nicky Romero / Matthew Koma - Sparks
Alesso vs OneRepublic - If I Lose Myself (a song I love, remixed by one of my absolute favorite DJs?)
Audien ft. Ruby Prophet - Circles
Grendel - Conflict Instigation (how about a little industrial?)
Hardwell - Apollo
Jenna Drey - One Step Further
Krewella - Alive
Selena Gomez - Slow Down (yes, I like Selena Gomez. I try to keep my pop star fandoms off of here but sometimes I let it bleed through)
W&W - Thunder

That should be a sufficient list just for a kickstart of the stuff littering my Music folder. Sometimes you just gotta leak out some of these things that aren't right for posts of their own. Also it lets me expose a little bit of my Pop folder, which I intentionally don't use here usually.
Now I'm tired, I've been writing this for like two hours, I'm gonna go watch Sherlock.
End Recording,
Ego.

No comments :

Post a Comment